Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Power of Play

The CBC has become an integral part of my day. In the mornings (if I'm up early enough) I like to listen to Tom Allen on Radio 2. But it's hard for me to choose because Anna T. on Radio 1 is wonderful. Some of her programs can be quite interesting. My favourite program is Radio 2 Drive with Rich Terfry. I think it's his voice and personality. He also plays great music!
On Monday afternoon they had a really interesting program on Ideas called "The Hurried Infant." It as a two part series. I blog about it here because while I was listening I found myself imagining the kind of a childhood I think you all had. The psychologist they were interviewing talked about the power of play and how important that is for the development of a child. I've included a link to the website where you can either listen to the program or read a synopsis of it. Please indulge my imaginations and give me a good story of Brouwer play time. I've heard some from Peter but another perspective is always better!

3 comments:

  1. Brouwer boys in the basement of 99th Ave. It was a basement takeover. all of the cushions would come off of the couch, they would create a tunnel/hut underneath a huge assortment of blankets. Lights off, complete with a flashlight, I was invited to tour their hut on my hands and knees. By the way, did I ever tell you that they duct taped Jeff to a clothes rack and threw him over like a tether ball on top of all the blankets. I also beleive that they dressed jeff up in about 3 winter coats, goggles from Garret's workshop and a goalie mask. They (Peter and Daniel ) proceeded to shoot at Jeff with a BB gun. I remember, "Run Jeff run!" Sound similar to Dcik and jane reading series. Run Dick, run. There are more, but it is too hot to write!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are true stories, but in each one Jeff was not a victim! He was a willing volunteer (with maybe some pressure from Pete and me).

    Play time for us usually conisted of being outside. My childhood memories are full of outdoor adventures, even if it was raining.

    Main indoor activities included lego building (Pete and me once made a 3ft man that could eat lego and poop them out) and fort building. Every fort consisted of pillows, chairs, blankets and blasting Beach Boys tunes.

    Outdoor play consisted mainly of bottle hunting in the creek, biking, playing hockey, building forts and annoying 'muttley' - the next door neighbor dog. It really depended on our age.

    When we were younger we played a lot in the sandbox and on the rope swings that Uwe made. In the sandbox we would grab the hose and create the 'rushin' rocket' - blasting water through the sand box frame and making rivers in the sand pit. We would make massive cities with rivers flowing through them.

    This occasionally occured in mom's garden too.

    I think our childhood play was often involved with creating something. We would come up with things to do make them last for hours on end. Our ideas weren't always beneficial or smart, often mischevious and irrational for the most part, but it made things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dan what a wonderful comment! I really like the 'rushin' rocket'! Has this desire for creative play influenced you today? I find little scraps of paper in random spots with sketches of things Peter wants to make. He has recently started making a crib board. In University he made a big tent in his room, hanging sheets and what not. It seems that age is not the limiting factor.

    ReplyDelete