Thursday, November 19, 2009
An Update
It's been a week now since we arrive in Anges Water/1770. When we arrived we both got a good vibe that this would be a good place, and it has been a good week. It's like being on an island. We are surrounded by National parks and the ocean. This means that development is at a low. There are not many places to spend your money. Although food, gas, etc does cost a pretty penny. Accomodations are cheap! ($5.50 a night) If you stay a week you get the 7th day for free. That includes bush washrooms (out house of sorts), free BBQ's (electrical type) and an outdoor cold shower. Did I mention the very private beaches? Peter and I feel very comfortable here and have decided to stay for awhile. I've managed to secure a job a local cafe. So far I've been going in for few hours in the morning making a few beverages and always one for myself! Then I head to the library for some free internet. I also managed to get a library card! (Any book suggestions?) Beach and books go together so well! The cafe has said I will get a lot of hours once they get busy. Australians get about 6 weeks of holiday time for Christmas. Lovely. That means we will get a lot of tourists coming in to spend money!Peter has yet to secure a job but everyone that he calls said they have big jobs coming up in a few weeks. It would be great if he were to get a job but I think we can live quite happily off of what I make. During the day he takes long walks on the beach and putters with the van. We found an op shop in town and he's bought a pair of Auzzie work shorts. I will try to get a picture of him in them. (Something like Dad's cut off shorts!)Life here is a lot slower than we are used to. I think it will be an adjustment. Sometimes I am unsure if this is the right thing to do. But it is a 15 minute walk to the cafe from our campsite. The campground is quiet and the beaches are so secluded. We have yet to find a church but hopefully that will come. We have been thinking about Christmas and how we want to celebrate it. We would like to have something for the Advent Season. Perhaps a reading or something. Does anyone have any ideas for this?Last week we went on The Spirit of 1770 Cruise to Lady Musgrave Island. It was a beautiful day for going to the island. This is the most southern point of the Great Barrier Reef. We spent a few hours snorkelling. It never fails to amaze me. We were able to get a free trip by working for the company. Peter was put to work washing a boat and I was in the office putting brochures in envelopes and such. It was a great way to get to the island without dishing out a wack of cash ($160 each.) Since we are off the beaten track we had to get a new phone #, which I will email to you all. In addition the cafe said I could give you their mailing address in case any of you want to send a Christmas card! It's time for me to hit the beach. Sending our love to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like it when you guys say where you are! I can check it out on the 'Google Stree View'. I can picture you guys driving down Captain Cook Dr. and into Joseph Banks National Park.
ReplyDeleteWhat's the weather there like right now? Hot?
Hot! Yes, very much so. I'm not sure what the exact temperature is but I walk to town and the sweat is rolling off of me. Usually it's Peter who is sweating like crazy.
ReplyDeleteWe hit the beach every day. Thankfully the beach has some nice shade trees. No umbrella necessary. Although there are signs posted saying that there are stingers in the water. Let's hope not!
Great talking to you today. Just hearing your voices.....well it was like you were living in Burnaby. You have so many experiences to talk about already. Nice idea for the 'Google Street View' Daniel. We thought it looked a bit like California. Blog question????? Why are my comments so far down, like so far away from the pictures. Papa G and I need some advise.
ReplyDelete