Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Easter Family


Just thought I'd wish you all - scattered across the globe - a Happy Easter!

This morning I attended a service at Fellowship - much different than usual. Basically a liturgy service I think you would call it and some songs. The service ended pretty abrupt - kind of like a "to be continued" story, which of course will happen Sunday.

I have a 5 day weekend, which is pretty sweet. My boss is out of town so we have some time off along with Easter.

Anyways, hope you are all doing well. Here are some fond Easter memories:

- coming home from church at our old place to find a huge easter egg hunt in the backyard set up by Elke and Uwe
- easter egg hunts set up by mom. Often she would forget where she hid the candy and it would be found months later. Still a tasty surprise!
- BIG bunnies and those BIG bouncy ball balloons we got from Grandpa and Grandma
- Dinners at Pake & Beppes - home cooking, you don't realize how much you miss it until you're gone.
- He has conquered Death!


2 comments:

  1. Peter and SarahFriday, 02 April, 2010

    That was a great cartoon! What a hoot!
    Peter and I were talking about traditions the other day. It seems his memory is not as good as yours. Although he did say he was always good at beating you guys up. He said he did it to toughen you guys up for the real world. Did it help you at all?
    We miss the family gatherings as well.
    Oh we went to a good Friday service at an Anglican church with ten other people.
    Very liturgical as well, we read from a bulletin recycled circa. 1975. The building itself was constructed in the early 1900s. Peter said he would never go back. I would maybe. I like kneeling in church and I like the way they do communion. (With port! Probably from the distillery next door.) The wafers tasted like paper but that all does not matter. What does matter is that we all praise and worship the same God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Daniel. We had a tenebrae service Fr. evening. Candles were snuffed out and it became darker as the night wore on. It sure gave a sense of darkness and death. At the front of the church they had the cross, draped in a purple cloth. A crown of thorns was there too. Made me think of my Bible story to my class on Thurs. We have been looking at different crosses and what they symbolize. The cross we had talked about was the 'Passion Cross'. It has 5 holes in it, 2 for the hands of Christ, 2 for the feet of Christ and 1 for the spear in His side. I had a crown of thorns for them to try on and I had a couple of huge nails for them to touch. As we sat down to write about this cross, Austin Gerber said,"I don't feel very well." He was white/grey/green in the face and had a cold clammy sweat over his entire body. I thought he was going to throw up. I called Greg and Laura later on....it was the Bible story that did it, you know, blood, nails, spear..... I guess becoming a DR. is out of the question for that Gerber. A blessed Easter everyone.

    ReplyDelete