Saturday, May 1, 2010

Beauty Through the Bad


Our van one early morning before work.

As most of you know we had an accident this past week Wednesday with our beloved yellow van. A quick re-cap, although I don't like to think about it that much and Sarah even less, she is not even here while I write this blog. On an evening after work at about 5:00ish we headed off to our mechanics house to have a utility bar put on the front of the van to carry a jerry can and a few extras. This would keep smells outside the van and give us some more space inside. Both Sarah and I were excited for this addition to the van as it would be just that much more customized to our liking.
In order to get to our mechanic's place we took a different route then usual, we approached a T-intersection, I turned right and did not see the oncoming traffic, I was T-boned just behind the drivers seat between the wheel base. No one was hurt and the old yellow van was able to crawl away from the scene after dealing with the cops, who were for the most part pretty delightful and easy going.

We rolled into the closest caravan park and what was somewhat of a bother this week was that you just can't seem to keep something like this off your mind. Certain steps have to be taken-insurance and the rest of it. By no means is it ever a convenience to get into a vehicle accident. In the evening before bed while I was approaching the world of my dreams the last thought I had were of the van, upon waking it was nearly the first thing that I thought of. Not a great way to start your day. Both Sarah and I wake up earlier than we did in our lives in Canada. With work we are even more routine in our sleeping. These are the sights that I saw approx 6:00am/6:30am, a lovely sun rise, too good not to be remembered. It was after all the first morning after the accident.


Pinks in the clouds silhouetted by some trees.
Pink sky in the morning -Salor's warning!
This particular day we did not see any storms though...

Grace and Henry had sent us a parcel which we had received only a day before this all went down. One book in the parcel was a small daily devo with sayings and bible verses associated with them. Sarah turned through the book and came across one that said "All things are hard before they are easy", how fitting we thought and ripped it out and hung it up in the van. Later on that night we read in the big book about how God sometimes tests us and those that stand the tests will be blessed. Maybe this is a test for us, what we will learn....? Hmm these learnings I find take quite a bit of time and usually it is not until we can look back on the entire situation from afar we see what was going on.
Through this incident we have already learned that we have an amazing support group around us, even when we are so far from our conventional support systems (home). Our boss rang us up right after the accident and has made some calls to people to see what they can do, Terry picked us up to bring us to his house this weekend and has knowledge of the motor vehicle industry, including insurance and the rest, his neighbor is a retired farmer, who offered to fix what he could on the van, but who is away at the moment on a quad trip through the Simpson desert as a support man fro 10 millionaires on an adventure trip (so we will see him in two weeks.). To cap it off there are a set of twin brothers, also farmers, who work in the avocado groves who offered us a car that was just sitting in the barn back home, with 5 months of rego left on it, so now we even have wheels to get into town and run our errands.
We are now at a caravan park that is close enough to work that it only takes us 25mins to walk, we cross a small airport runway and then zig zag our way through avocado groves until we reach the processing shed- hey not too bad either.
Until we have more details-you are all up to speed.


Can you see the beauty in the bad?!
-Peace-




4 comments:

  1. Hey Pete and Sarah...total beauty in the bad. We are so thankful that both of you are safe. I can remember having an accident, and Grandpa saying, how are you? The vehicle we can fix. For sure the same applies here. I will never forget that. Have you been able to get some numbers and answers from insur? We(the parents) are wondering what is the part of the vehicle that is hanging down right under the crunch point? Thanks for letting us know. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you guys are ok. Looks like a good bit of damage though! Hopefully the repairs are ok, and by the sounds of it you guys have some people there who are willing to help.
    Look on the bright side, you're not in Edmonton. As I type this, it's snowing! In May! Another 5-10cm...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bit extending down from the impact point is the old water tank. It wasn't hooked up when we bought the van, I just want to get rid of it, Sarah thinks it might have actually gave some extra cushion in the accident... not sure, but now it is easier to get at- maybe I'll take it off. Inside is another plastic container (25L) that we use for our water. Anyways we are glad that we are safe and sound as well. It has been difficult to get a hold of the panel beater as he gets off work the same time that I do. Hopefully I can meet up with him one way or another this week. We will see how things go. In the meantime we have the van parked at the Atherton Holiday Park and can walk to work, pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, or actually on Friday we had surprise visitors. Auntie Trisha, Janine and Jeleisa came for a surprise visit. They came for Mother's Day......so today we were all at Pake and Beppe's for coffee and lunch. Couldn't help think about the two of you, thankful and grateful to God that you were kept safe. I am constantly amazed at the people that God has passing through your life. Hope that you have a good week. U. Kev and I leave for Winnipeg on Thurs. evening, will meet Barrie, Kath and Gran there. We are going for Biz'z grad with her Master's in Phys. Assistant. Should be a fast but fun weekend. Need to be back to teach on Mon. Love you both

    ReplyDelete